Sunday, January 06, 2008

Only YOU Can Prevent Forest Fires!

You and PJ, that is.

Near the end of the holiday vacation, but before New Year's, PJ and I were at home. I know we were both showered/dressed to leave the house, but I can't remember the time of day (mid-day at some point).

PJ looked out our kitchen window and saw a little bit of smoke in the neighbor's yard. It was a thin column of smoke, like you might have for a small campfire. PJ commented on it. Now, outdoor fires in residental areas are illegal where we live. And on top of that, there's like a 13" rain deficit, so while the ground wasn't parched (had recently had rain), it wasn't a good idea. I commented on how these types of fires could get out of control very easily and PJ pashawed my comment.

PJ continued to watch. I was doing something in the kitchen (computer stuff? grocery list? I can't remember). Then PJ started to get more interested in the fire. He commented that it appeared to be a lot smokier now and then he said the little old lady next door was running (as much as an 80-yr old grandma can run). I thought he was just pulling my leg, but he said she really was running. I went out on the back deck to see what I could see and I could see that there was some fire, but I couldn't tell how much.

We saw the neighbor-lady carry out water in a dog bowl. And then in a tupperware container. PJ realized this wasn't going to solve the problem and he leapt into action grabbing his trusty 5-gallon bucket (the one he uses for the fish tank) and ran to the neighbor's house.

He made his way into the backyard (through a gate, no sense ringing a doorbell in this case). He saw that the wood retaining wall had caught on fire. He tried the hose, but being winter, the outside water was off. He ran up the back steps to the house to the kitchen sink (their kitchen is upstairs, like ours). He hadn't seen anyone yet, but he went ahead to fill up the bucket in the sink. Well, the water pressure gave him a trickle. He was beyond frustrated, but since he still hadn't seen any homeowners, he didn't feel right about heading to the tub to fill his bucket up (the situation wasn't dire enough yet).

The homeowners did show up (we don't know where they were, in the basement???) and one of them unlocked the basement door so PJ could turn on the water (they weren't tall enough). Then PJ got the hose and extinguished the fire. Damage was only to the retaining wall, but no one was hurt and no major property damage.

Thank goodness PJ was paying attention! The neighbors brought us food on New Year's Day. And though they try to teach me Spanish with each visit, I haven't gotten much farther than "gracias" or "adios." **shrug** At least we like our neighbors, even if they are trying to burn down the neighborhood. :P

No comments: