Saturday, January 05, 2008

A Birthday Story

So, on Dec 20, we went to a funeral. It was a Thursday and it was a pretty rough day. D.O. was young and well-loved and it brought back a lot of memories and it reminds you how precious life is.

After the funeral, several of us (a lot) met up at TGI Fridays to catch up and tell stories and whatnot. I had some things to take care of and left around 5. PJ said he wasn't staying late and that I'd see him later. It was a pretty crappy evening as I spent a lot of time reminiscing and whatnot. PJ got home around 930pm. I was getting ready for bed. He said he'd been out doing last minute birthday shopping and that he stopped by Glory Days. I was irritated he was home so late, but I figured he had just needed more time (than me) to process everything and decompress from the day, etc., etc.

Fast forward to my birthday (12/26, in case you forgot to pay attention)...PJ and the kids brought my birthday gifts to my dad's house. I opened them there and I got some pajamas, socks and fondue forks. Now, I'm not trying to come across as greedy, but I thought, "He didn't come home that night for this?!" And based on my Christmas presents, I know that the kids and PJ had all been to Victoria's secret, Bed, Bath & Beyond and the mall, so I knew those gifts were not gifts that PJ had been out shopping for the night of the funeral. I didn't say anything because I was happy with the gifts and saying something certainly would have made me sound ungrateful (which I wasn't). Besides, I figured he might have stopped to get one item, but mostly he had probably just spent more time hanging out with everyone than he was willing to admit to. Having a fight about that wasn't high on my list of fun things to do on my birthday.

We left my dad's not too late and got home...I took Megan to the store to redeem a gift card and we ran a couple other errands. Sometime after dinner, PJ started questioning me about items that were on the table (because where do we store all this new Christmas stuff??!!). I turned to talk to him and low and behold what do I see? A bag, from a jewelry store. And in it were a pair of earrings and a journey pendant necklace. PJ redeemed himself. :) And then, of course, I had to tell him the story that I just told you and he got even greater pleasure out of it all. He spent some time congratulating himself. LOL. He's a good guy. And he wasn't out all night at the bar as I had started to think he had been. HAHAHAHAHAHAH! Phew!

No comments: